Monday, November 8, 2010

CEP 811 Reflection

In this class, I learned to think about the teaching strategies I use as I teach with technology.  I used to sort-of think that using technology was a strategy itself.  Now I am realizing that I need to be careful and still find ways to encourage kids to think, analyze, discuss, and reflect while they are using technology as a learning tool.  I used to think of technology as more of a collection of resources for finding information, but now view it as a medium for making connections to content and other people while learning material.

Learning to use more web-based technologies make me realize how much more we need to teach kids about technology.  Technology is not simply to be used as a faster way to find information.  Web-based technologies can encourage students to think deeper, to debate with each other, to learn from experts, and to create presentations that can demonstrate their knowledge as well as teach others what they have learned. 

One of my main technology goals was simply to be exposed to more technology and online resources.  I now am aware of and can use wikis, RSS pages, webquests, blogs, google docs and other google tools, and many other sources that I had little or no prior experience with.

My new goals are to become more proficient with the technology I have been exposed to.  This means that I want to start using some of it on a regular basis and exploring different uses of each resource.  I want to feel as comfortable with the new technology as I was before with programs like Microsoft Word, Facebook, and Powerpoint.  I know that the best way to get better at using new programs is simply to continue using them.  I need to find ways to integrate them into my everyday life or my teaching.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that the class has been helpful. You are right when you say the best way to learn is to play.

    ReplyDelete