Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mobile Learning Labs


One technology I am considering trying to integrate into my library next year is ipods.  I would love to be able to create my own audiobooks for students to enjoy, and even possibly check out from the library.  I think that many of my students would also love creating their own audiobooks to share with other students.  I think that using audio versions of stories created by people students know, such as myself and other students, could really increase reading motivation.  I think that parents and other teachers may also be interested in creating audio versions of their favorite stories to share with students.  Having access to ipods could also benefit struggling readers throughout the school.  Teachers of students who have difficulty reading or staying focused on reading for extended periods may want to use the library ipods either create audio versions of what students are learning in class, or books they want their students to read.  

I am somewhat interested in the idea of using Kindles in school.  However, I am afraid that using Kindles can take a lot away from motivation to read regular books.  I am also skeptical about how much benefit Kindles could really have, in relation to their cost. 

I love the idea of using Flip Cameras in school.  I think that when students have the idea that what they say or do can be recorded and saved, it motivates them to put more thought and effort into their work.  

USB drives don’t seem very useful to me.  In my school, students all have their own space to save their work on the network.  I could see USB drives as somewhat useful when transferring a project from school to home and back, or when working as part of a group, but I think that just having a small number of them available in a school would be enough.  

I am definitely still skeptical of the use of cell phones in school.  I do like the idea of disabling calling and text functions so that students would have to focus more on classroom tasks, but I’m still uncomfortable with the idea of kids being so attached to screens.  I do appreciate that cell phones could give all kids equal access to the internet and other resources, but I worry that it takes children away from regular social interaction and physical tasks. 

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I love your idea of integrating ipods into what you do. Kids love creating things for other kids. I've had my students create something like an audio book with pictures using VoiceThread, and they love being able to express themselves through speech and writing. It also reinforces writing and vocabulary skills.
    Liat

    ReplyDelete